Autumn work in the garden, including pruning currants in autumn, characterized by the preparation of plants for the winter period, which lays the success of a good harvest in the new season. Novice gardeners do not always take into account the peculiarities of care., therefore, some crops have a decrease in fruiting.
What is pruning currant?
A prime example is currants. Unpretentious at first sight, the plant develops intensively after the landing of a young shoots, delighting the eyes of the owners with a growing power.
However, a few years later, you can notice a decrease in yield, while the bush becomes bulky and shapeless. This is due primarily to the lack of pruning.
Crop berry shrub required also to achieve the following results:
- removal of pest or fungus-affected branches;
- increasing the number and size of berries;
- optimization of the nutrition process (so that old or weak shoots do not pull on valuable substances);
- bush formation.
Beginner gardeners this process may seem difficult, but mastering the rules of trimming is actually quite easy.In the absence of pruning, old, dried branches prevent the formation of new fruiting shoots.
When to trim the bushes?
Regardless of the variety of currants pruning must be done annually. The best period for the procedure is autumn, when currants shed their leaves.
Autumn procedure has the following advantages:
- sanitization (this is an effective method of combating diseases and insects);
- the plant does not react so painfully to pruning, does not produce juice;
- the ability to form and rejuvenate garden culture.
Easy cleaning in spring currants from frozen and broken shoots. The advantage of the spring procedure is to stimulate the growth of new shoots, which will begin to bear fruit next season.
If we ignore these rules, then juice will be emitted from the cut points, which depletes the plant. It will also increase the likelihood of infection with fungus or other diseases. Instead of full-fledged vegetative function, currant will spend forces for restoration.
Proper pruning of black currants - a pledge of great harvest:
How to carry out the procedure: tips for novice gardeners
Currants should be planted about 3 weeks before the onset of frost. From this moment on, care begins, which favorably influences plant formation.
Before planting a sapling, need to cut the tops of all shoots. On each branch should be left 2-3 buds. After the first season, the bush will acquire an average of five new shoots.
In order to rejuvenate
Rejuvenation of a 5-6 year old bush performed with the aim of extending the life cycle of currants.
At the same time wilted and broken parts of the bush are cut offaffected by diseases or pests. From the shoots of last year, the tops are removed, and from the new choose 3-5 more promising.
It is impossible to cut a branch near the kidney itself, it can destroy the whole process.Rejuvenation of a 5-6 year-old bush is performed with the aim of extending the currant's life cycle
There are several technologies for trimming currants. Novice gardeners are encouraged to try the Michurinsky methodwhich provides good yields on large plantations.
The essence of the method lies in the following rules:
- after planting seedlings currants 5 years is not pruned;
- after 5 years, half of the bushes are cut off at the root (they must be carefully fed later);
- a year later, about 20 of the sprouts were left, the rest are removed;
- after a year, similar actions are carried out with the other half of the bushes;
- after the uprooting of old plants, the plot is planted with new shoots.
It also happens that the bush is not so old yet, but the fruiting has decreased dramatically. In this case, it is advisable apply a radical pruning method. It consists in the complete removal of the pagons from the plant, not reaching the base of only 3 cm.
After processing the cutting line with garden pitch, it is necessary to richly enrich the root system with fertilizers and cover the stump with soil. Sometimes gardeners change the soil around the bush, diluting it before filling with humus.Novice gardeners should try the Michurinsky pruning method, which provides good yields.
Experienced gardeners have long used summer pruning, motivating their actions with the following advantages:
- excess sunlight has a positive effect on the process of photosynthesis of young shoots;
- the intensity of the growth of internal branches is equal to the indices of the lateral processes, which forms the beautiful shape of the bush;
- the risks of fungal infections are reduced to zero.
How to properly cut black currants in the fall: the scheme and stages
In late autumn, before the onset of cold weather, the plant becomes dormant.
When planning to remove branches, it should be remembered that some of them may be damaged in the winter. Work is easier to do if you follow a certain sequence.
Sanitary pruning (1st stage):
- clean the plant from dry branches and leaves;
- remove shoots that did not have time to mature (they will freeze out in winter);
- cut interlocking branches that grow from the center and lie on the ground;
- get rid of the affected and deformed processes.
Rejuvenation of the bush (2nd stage):
- cut branches older than 5 years (black variety) and 8 years old (red and white varieties);
- annual shoots shortened by a third;
- on a well-formed plant, pagons older than 3 years can be cut.
Maintaining a bush (3rd stage): This type of pruning is performed with excessive thickness.
As a rule, the central branches are removed to lighten the plant. With a sufficient number of fructifying pagons, you can remove processes that have grown in the current season.
If the bush is running and has not been previously treated, you should not heavily thin it. The plant can not cope with the great loss of shoots.
Features for white and red
Bushes of white and red currants are cut a little differently.than black varieties. The most suitable time for the procedure is the early spring or summer period after the end of fruiting.
The life cycle of white and red currants is longer than the black variety. therefore Old branches are considered to be 7-8 years old.
Pruning of old and pest prone shoots, extra young shoots. Ideally, 6-8 skeletal branches should remain after the procedure.
Processing, pruning and forming a bush of red and white currants:
Caring for a currant, it is important not to overdo it with the removal of pagons. Improper processing will not bring benefit, but it can destroy the plant.